These days a look book is crucial for a fashion brand. It has become the essential communication tool for marketing your company. If you don’t know what it is, a look book is set of photographs displaying a fashion designer’s new collection.
You can use your lookbook for everything from letting your buyers know what your new line looks like, to reaching out to editors to get entice them to feature you in the blogs or magazines. For something so important you must do everything you can to make it as effective as possible. So here are my 5 tips:
- Great photography is of utmost importance – This is not a place to skimp. A good photographer will know how to light the set to show product at it’s best. Also, you will want to use models that enhance your clothing. The difference between shooting a garment on your friend with your iPhone (no matter how pretty she is) and having a professional photo shoot is the difference between poorly done and fabulous.
- Good quality paper stock – There are so many choices, matte, shiny, heavy, light etc, but it is worth the time to look for the right paper stock that will complement your photography and give the right impression.
- Choose a theme – The best lookbooks I’ve seen have a strong composition and flow. Think of a magazine editorial and how dramatic they are when they create a themed layout.
- Create a captivating cover page – The saying you can’t judge a book by its cover doesn’t apply here. Because that is just what people will do. If you want people to open your book make sure the cover grabs their attention.
- Show your brand personality – Remember you are using your lookbook to create brand awareness. So use your creativity to make your book look unique.